As lovers of nature, flowers and all things creative, we recognise that as an industry, we need to do better to protect our environment in a more consciously responsible manner. Our sustainability strategy underpins the entire foundation of our event styling and floristry business, driving us to continually innovate for new and exciting change, and helping us make better choices to protect Aotearoa New Zealand.
Creating change is a movement and we invite you to join us. Together, with our suppliers and customers by our side, we can effect real change; tangible actions that reduce our carbon footprint on our natural environment.
Sustainability is at the heart of everything we do. Whenever we design, we start by considering where it might end up. This drives us to continuously innovate for new and exciting change.
It is our mission to reduce our impact on the environment wherever possible, and we are committed to providing our clients with information about sustainable, environmentally conscious options, reflected in the services we offer.
We strive to tread lightly and reuse, repurpose, repair, and donate everything we can.
Key to our business is our staff, it is crucial for us to invest in our their well-being to ensure they have a positive, safe and healthy work environment and a high quality of life as we can not function without them.
We combine artificial flowers with fresh, to prolong the life of the feature, this reduces water waste, and removes the need for sourcing out of season flowers.
Appreciation is growing of the wonderful impact a fresh and artificial arrangement can make.
We are always exploring for better options from the wrappings we choose, to the flowers we pick, from our recycling and reducing processes, to our own picking garden and beehive. We are working to ensure that all of our packaging is recyclable, compostable or reusable by 2025. We are proud to say we are well on the way to accomplishing that.
“Thanks again for this lovely donation I just wanted to give you an update on the trees and plants you donated to the school!
They have all been planted into the school gardens. We are very happy to have these plants as they seem to be growing very well despite the frost, so thank you!”
Kate Maloney, Cotswold School
We Do Things Differently
- Instead of using core-flute or foam board, we use compostable paper and vegetable ink and stylish reusable A1 frames.
- If flowers or floral arrangements are unwanted after an event, we donate them on your behalf to preschools, hospitals, hospices, rest homes, or other locations of your choice.
- Our artificial flowers are carefully cared for and we have a rigorous system of cleaning and storage to maximise their life-span. If the artificial flower is past its time it is broken down into salvageable parts.
- We support local projects and initiatives that have a positive impact on the environment and the local economy. Plants from our events are being donated to be planted into the Tūī Corridor which has been set up to establish a pathway of tūī friendly vegetation between the Port Hills and the central city.
- Our social media platforms raise awareness about sustainability within the floristry industry and highlight achievements and ideas.
- Wrapped in recycled newspaper and bound with twine, we created the Naked Bouquet which makes its own statement and after its life the entire design is compostable.
- We use rechargeable LED candles at events, reducing single-use batteries.
- It is not uncommon for people to call when pruning their gardens to ask if they can donate their foliage to us this saves it going to landfill. We then use that foliage in our arrangements.
- And we are currently sourcing and testing compostable cellophane – did you know it totally composes in the garden after 12 weeks – watch this space.
- We repair broken equipment to avoid waste where possible and use have relationships with caterers to collect discarded food containers from caterers as flower buckets, rather than purchasing new ones.
- In order to avoid unnecessary waste, we collaborate with other industry suppliers, subcontracting elements we may not need again.
- Did you know we have a Bee Hive on top of our workshop? We support bees and help increase pollination in our area. Bees fly 5 kilometres every day to gather pollen for their bee hive, pollinating gardens and producing our “Honey from the Florist’s Garden”. Once harvested, our honey makes delicious gifts to go with our sustainable bouquets.
- We are member of the Sustainable Tourism Network and are an Upstream Approved Supplier.
“It was an absolute pleasure to work with Kim to style the launch dinner for our new programme. Kim and her team are consistently professional and attentive to every detail, from the initial consultation to the final touches on the day of the event.
The styling was stunning and exceeded my expectations. Kim created a beautiful, well considered, cohesive look that helped bring our brand narrative to life. She worked seamlessly with the venue and other suppliers, ensuring that everything came together to create a truly unique experience.
Thanks again Kim and I look forward to working with you on the next project.”
Tūawhana Business Events Advocate Programme