How to look after your bouquet of flowers
So you have received a beautiful bouquet of flowers – now what do you do?
People ask me all the time what is the best way for them to look after their flowers? To get the most out of your bouquet please follow these steps:
- First and foremost find a vase or container that is the right shape for the bouquet.
- Ensure the vase is clean.
- Fill a clean vase with fresh, room temperature water.
- Take your flowers out of the packaging, but do not cut the brown bind string wrapped around the stems yet. Our tissue paper, cellophane and wet wrap are all eco-friendly, biodegradable and can be composted.
- Cut at least 2cm off of the stems (or more depending on the height of your vase) using clean, sharp scissors. Always cut at a sharp angle so the stems can absorb more water.
- Remove any foliage that will sit below the waterline to help reduce bacteria.
- Leave the bind string around your bouquet to maintain the structure of your arrangement.
- Avoid placing your flowers directly under air conditioning, a fan or a heater. Place them in a cool, light location away from direct sunlight.
- Refill with fresh, clean water daily and remove any faded blooms as they appear.
- Don’t be afraid to decant the flowers into smaller vases as time passes so you get to enjoy the blooms for their whole lifespan.
All our bouquets are long lasting, and sourced and wrapped using sustainable practices. We deliver throughout Christchurch and from Kaikoura to Timaru!